Duke of Gloucester Detour
here to download a printable version of the
Duke of Gloucester Detour
Q. Maryland Inn, 16 Church Circle
of walking down Main Street, walk down Duke of Gloucester Street and turn
right on Charles Street.
Anne Catherine & Jonas Green House, 124 Charles Street
known as the “Jonas
Green House”, this home was renamed by the current occupants of the house,
direct descendents of Jonas and Anne Green. It is now the “Anne Catherine Green House”. Jonas
set up a print shop in the yard behind their home and published the Maryland
Gazette newspaper, but he died in 1767 with marginal assets. Anne expanded the printing business to include official
governmental publications, and then the printing of paper money backed by
the State of Maryland. Anne Catherine Green was the first woman to publish
and own an American newspaper. You can schedule a tour of this home
City Colonials. Or read our
Annapolis Architecture Guide (AAG) article, The
Anne Catherine And Jonas Green House in Annapolis,
to learn more about
why this house endures today as an early example of "green"
& Jonas Green House
left on Cathedral Street, and then turn left on Conduit Street.
Zimmerman House, 138 Conduit Street
Queen Anne style home was built for Charles Zimmerman, leader of the
United States Naval Academy band and composer of the Naval Academy fight
song, "Anchors Aweigh". The home was constructed between 1893
and 1897 from plans by George Franklin Barber, and features ornamented
gables, turrets and fishscale-patterned wood shingles.
right on Duke of Gloucester Street.
First Presbyterian Church, Duke of Gloucester St. at Conduit St.
sanctuary was originally built as the Hallam Theater in 1828. The
congregation was formed in 1846, one year after the establishment of the
Naval Academy, and the new congregation purchased the theater, changing it
into a space for worship. The room was enlarged and remodeled, including
the addition of the church steeple, in 1948.
John Callahan House, 164 Conduit Street
Callahan House, known previously as Pinkney-Callahan
House when it was located on St. John Street was constructed by
John Callahan around 1785-90. It has been moved twice in efforts to
prevent its demolition. In 1900-01, the house was relocated to St.
John’s Street and then to its present site on Conduit Street in 1972.
The home features an unusual gable-end principal facade and once served as
St. John's College Infirmary.
Maynard-Burgess House, 163 Duke of Gloucester Street
Maynard-Burgess House, currently owned by the City of Annapolis, is significant because
it was continually owned by two interrelated African American families,
from about 1850-1980. It was purchased by a free black man, John Maynard,
in 1847 and the house and its residents bore witness to changes in African
American lives that ran from slavery, to the Civil Rights movement, to the
City Hall, 160 Duke of Gloucester Street
building once served as a firehouse and was also a ballroom in the 1760's.
It burned during the Civil War, but some of the walls survived and were
incorporated into the present building. The current finishes in the
meeting hall date to 1934.
John Ridout House, 120 Duke of Gloucester Street
handsome Georgian home was built about 1765 by John Ridout, who came to
Maryland as secretary to Governor Horatio Sharpe. Ridout also built the
group of three row houses adjacent to his home shortly before the
St. Mary's Church, 109 Duke of Gloucester Street &
Charles Carroll House, 107 Duke of Gloucester Street
Victorian Gothic style church was consecrated in 1860. The octagonal
steeple was added around 1876. The property on which St. Mary’s Church
and Rectory are located was given to the congregation in 1852 by four
granddaughters of Charles Carroll of Carrollton, the only Catholic signer
of the Declaration of Independence, whose birthplace and long-time home
also is on the property.
original frame structure that was once part of the Charles Carroll House dated back to 1687. The property was bought by
the Carroll family in 1706, and construction on a brick house 10 feet away from the frame dwelling
began in 1720. Charles Carroll of Carrollton was born in the house in
1737, and he combined and expanded the dwellings over the years that he
lived there after his marriage. The original
gambrel roof was replaced with a gable roof and massive chimneys. By
the 1790's the house was the four-story dwelling seen today. Additional
renovations and the demolition of the original frame house were undertaken
when the property was given to the Redemptorist congregation in 1852. The
house is open for tours, visit the Charles
Carroll House of Annapolis website for more information.
St. Mary's Church
back up Duke of Gloucester Street and turn right on Green Street.
Turn right on Main Street.
Museum, 99 Main Street
Erected in the 1790’s
shortly after a destructive fire, this building had commercial shops on
the ground floor and residential uses on the upper story. The attractive
Flemish bond brick pattern, the dramatically angled flat window arches,
and tall thin chimneys further reflect the superior building craft
achieved in late 18th century Annapolis.
The building now houses the museum and gift shop of the Historic Annapolis
Foundation. Read our AAG article, Main
Street Annapolis in 1790 and 1970, to learn more about this building and its modern neighbor.
Historic Annapolis Museum