Ogle Hall

The Golden Period of Annapolis colonial mansion building starts with Ogle Hall in 1739. It grows in intensity and sophistication until 1774 when political uncertainty and the Revolutionary War stop all work. After the War, the Mid-Atlantic center of architecture and the decorative arts moves on to Baltimore and Philadelphia. The Golden Period concludes with the 1774 completion of the Hammond-Harwood House and Chase-Lloyd House.

Ogle Hall, built between 1739 and 1742 takes its name from the Ogle family, who lived here from 1747 to 1815. Famous visitors to the house include George Washington and the Marquis de Lafayette. Ogle Hall is now known as Alumni House and is home to the Naval Academy Alumni Association.




Detail: front door

Detail: hyphen

Detail: octagonal room at rear